Sunday, November 6, 2011

Android Development Basics - 101

Setting up Android Development Environment

I have this itch of learning development for new platforms. And since its "Android" everywhere and I own one too so I decided to scratch this itch and here I am, learning to program Android Apps.
Since, I was on it. I decided to write the process of getting a Hello World Program up and running for the noobs who have just stepped in the Android World.


NOTE: I will not go into detail of explaining every line of code. I do not assume any prev knowledge of Java but I do assume some programming experience and familiarity with eclpise IDE.


Let the journey begin...

First things first. You will need to setup a development environment to compile and test your applications. This will help you test your applications on your host system (windows or linux) without requiring you to connect your Android device.
It does so using AVD (Android Virtual Device) and ADT (Android Development Tools) an eclipse plugin for Android

So to setup your development environment, follow the given steps in order and you'll be ready before you know it.

NOTE: You will require a stable internet connection since the installation downloads the required files for installation

Step 1 : JDK
Installing JDK (download and install)

Step 2 : Android SDK
Installing SDK (for windows users I recommend using exe file instead of zip file) 
Download the exe file and install. 

Step 3 : Eclipse IDE 
Downloading eclipse (I recommend eclipse classic )
Eclipse does not have a regular setup file for install. It comes packaged in a rar/zip archive. Just extract the files and use "eclipse.exe" to launch.

Step 4 : ADT Plugin for eclipse
Installing ADT (follow step by step from the link)
I found these steps to be very straight forward and hence decided to directly link back.

Step 5 : Installing platforms and components
Installing platforms support for development.
Adding platform and component support is done via Android SDK manager.
SDK manager can be launched via :

  1. From within eclipse Window > Android SDK and AVD Manager
  2. Via Start menu > Programs> Android SDK Tools >Android SDK Manager

Once the SDK manager launches, select the components you require and press install.

NOTE: If you are not sure of what to choose and what not. I recommend using default selection. But make sure your version of Android platform is selected too. e-g SDK Platform Android 2.3.3 .

Once the downloads and install process is done. You are ready to rumble.

I'll post the "hello world" program tutorial in a couple of days :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment